The record breaking cold temperature brought by polar vortex is not yet due. You can still feel the shivering cold despite your thermal underwear, knit hat, scarf, gloves and a chilling tea. Protecting yourself from the weather requires you to protect your skin because whether it is cold, hot or humid, it will affect your skin that may result in acne breakouts to itchy dry patches. Moreover, a cold climate can be far challenging because it dries out your skin. You can also find your skin to be rough, cracked or peeling because of dryness.
Before you do the following skin care, remember that a dry skin is due to lack of moisture or water and not of oil. What can you do to lessen the impact of cold weather?
1. Moisturize: You can use cream moisturizers but for people with sensitive skin must use a moisturizer that is perfume and lanolin free. When the weather is cold, moisturize two or three times more than you do during warmer climates.
2. “Shower Smart”: Though a hot shower can make you feel good during cold weather, too much shower can dry your skin. You should limit your bath time to 5-10 minutes and once only in a day.
3. Cleanse your skin but do not overdo it. You must clean your hands, face and feet as well as the folds of the skin may be washed daily. However, you must not use soap or cleanser everyday because it will remove natural moisturizer from the skin.
4. Exfoliate. The key to smooth skin is regular exfoliation. This is a crucial step to quench the thirst of your dry skin that builds up on the surface of your skin. Exfoliate every other day to prevent dry skin and help maintain luminosity.
5. Use a creamier makeup. You can fight dry skin or skin flakes through scrapping powder-based makeup formula. You must use creamier foundation. Aside from that you must also use lipsticks with moisturizing shea butter.
6. Drink more water and watch your diet. Your diet will affect on the way your skin looks. Wether it is cold or hot, you have to drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated. You should also load yourself with nutrients from fruits and vegetables as well as healthy foods.
7. Use Face Primer. Using Face primers will prevent the makeup from settling into thin lines. It will also serve as a base for your foundation. It is recommended especially during the colder seasons.
Aside from wrapping up your body from head to toe, you also need to focus on your skin care regimen. You must also keep your home warm but not hot. Setting the right atmosphere will prevent your skin from getting dried up. Lastly, you also need to adapt your skin care products to the cold climate.